General Demolition were appointed as a specialist contractor to undertake an intricate internal cut and carve demolition and structural modification of a mid-late 1970’s building located in Fenchurch Street, London.
The building which consisted of a reinforced concrete frame structure with a structural mansard extension, encapsulated by a 1901 retained Grade II listed façade, totalling 37,986ft office accommodation, housed a banking unit arranged over the basement, ground and five upper floors which upon completion was sold for modern re-development.
Temporary steel supports were installed to retain the listed Portland stone facade whilst the 4th and 5th floors were completely removed. Reinforced concrete cores were removed to basement level.
Smart, safe solutions
General Demolition partnered with a temporary works specialist design consultant to establish a supporting scheme which allowed the new permanent works to be constructed around the temporary steel work until restraint was put back into the façade to once again support the retained structure in a permanent state.
The building was separated and deconstructed using modern innovative engineering solutions, introducing remote demolition plant with powerful crushing capabilities and diamond drilling and sawing, both of which significantly reduced the structural and air born noise and vibration on the surrounding working environments.
Throughout the project General Demolition maintained strong relations with the City of London Environmental Team, working closely together to ensure the impacts of our works were managed to prevent disturbances to those who may have been effected by the new construction development.
Through stringent and calculated planning the project was completed ahead of programme, on budget to the satisfaction of our client and more importantly with zero health and safety or environmental incidents. The project received a 100% recyclability rate.